Monday, August 21, 2017

Odd Street Signs

Any community of any size has the problem or delight of differentiating streets. Some cities go with some ordained plan, like naming streets after states or trees. Some favor historical personages; though lately some of those might require revision. Street names can occasionally yield some surprises. I immediately wondered what the people who named these streets was thinking of at the time. Here are some of my humble suppositions, my friends:

Named by a disrespectful nephew:


Frequently misspelled:


Guys just like to dance here:


A sign often stolen; I wonder why:


One wonders about Katie's:

Why do I think of Superman's girl friend?:


A pleasant surprise for newlyweds:


From the slaughter on Tenth Avenue:


Not a prime real estate market:


Hopefully, delightful surprises, not revelations from the ongoing story of Donald Trump:

This is in Knoxville:


In the neighborhood of Wall Street:


Dysfunction Junction, where things are royally screwed up:


Perhaps named by a Burger King fan:


Frat Row at the University is on this road:


Located in the boondocks:



Mr. Merlot lives here:


Not as separate as one might wish:


Does it whistle "Dixie?":


Can't trust the residents here:



Some people obviously had a good time with naming these streets.

14 comments:

Blogoratti said...

I can imagine the people who came up with these names having a laugh afterwards.

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer said...

Dysfunction Junction - I like that!

John Holton said...

We have a Frankie Lane near us...

Cloudia said...

Oh I loved these!!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Strange sense of humor some people have when they name streets.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm surprised the twon allowed the first one!

Mike said...

There is a Peyton Place near me.

John A Hill said...

A great collection of signs, Angel!

Gorilla Bananas said...

I never realised the town jester could be put in charge of naming streets. Did Aunt Fat Ass know that a street had been named after her? I've heard a lot of women aren't quite sure about the size of their rump.

Chuck the Grumpy Cat said...

There are Church and Gay streets?

Birgit said...

These are actual street names? The first one was obviously named after my one aunt

Unknown said...

The first one was obviously named after my one aunt


หนังตลก

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh my gosh- thanks for the laugh this morning. Some of those are just downright corny.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

EPT ~
It's kind of funny that only about 30 minutes ago, in the comment section of my last Battle Of The Bands installment, I was responding to an old friend of mine and I mentioned the [Link:) ​BUCKET OF BLOOD​ Saloon. He got "86'd" there in '86. The same night that I was suffering from the worst hangover of my entire "drinking career".

It's actually a very funny story -- one of my real "classics" -- but just too long to tell here.

~ D-FensDogG
[Link:) STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'