Monday, August 24, 2015

Funny or Odd Highway Signs

Perhaps I'm easily amused, but occasionally the tedium of driving is broken up by unusual or amazing highway signs. 

Here's one from Oxford, Mississippi on the Ole Miss campus.  The speed zones are set there at 18 mph in honor of former Ole Miss and New Orleans Saints quarterback Archie Manning. He wore an 18 on his jersey:



The Beast must reside along this U.S. Highway in Indiana:



Here are two for stoners to gravitate toward:



Speaking of stoners, in Idaho apparently stoners tended to steal milepost 420 repeatedly.  The highway department, in response, came up with this replacement.  I wonder whether the rate of sign-stealing will go down with this one:

There must be a lot of cunning linguists who steal this sign:


Finally, since some states use individual shapes to designate their state highway signs, this can be a source of amusement.  If you have an urge for a quiz, go to this quiz to see how many you can identify.

7 comments:

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer said...

I don't understand the significance of 420. Why?

Linda Kay said...

We saw sooooo many signs on our drive across country, and some of them are sort of confusing. Like taking a sign for North, when we really are heading West!

John A Hill said...

I understand taking a "Business 69" sign but I'm not sure about the "Alternate 69."

Mike said...

I only got 10 out of 24 on the test. Apparently spelling counts.

Route 69 - Minnesota to Texas - A stop in every town to commemorate the trip?

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

AL 69 between Tuscaloosa and Jasper used to be a prime target for sign thieves.

Gorilla Bananas said...

So 69 takes you both north and south? I think I need a more detailed map to know exactly what they're getting at.

Bilbo said...

I really am a cunning linguist ... my undergraduate degree is in Linguistics! Gives new meaning to the expression, "speaking in tongues," doesn't it?