Monday, April 8, 2013

The Joy of Wearing Dirndl

I love the style of dirndl dresses so commonly associated with women in Bavaria and Austria.  They seem so feminine, romantic, festive, and charming!  Basically, the full dirndl consists of a bodice, white blouse, skirt, and apron.  You can, if you wish, wear the skirt in long, medium, or shorter styles (some traditionalists might take exception to this last choice).  The blouse can employ a little décollété, if you wish.  But don't be tacky! 

The bodice can be brightly colored or patterned, and is often ornate. 

The dirndl fashion is most consistently associated with rural, traditional, often conservative dress.  Maybe the Republican Party can encourage the style as appealing to the modern outlook.  However, it is also commonly adopted by waitresses in bierhauses.  This might be a perfect choice of ensemble to wear for a job interview in certain settings.

Unfortunately, urban North Carolina does not provide much of a setting for the wearing of a dirndl dress; and if I were to wear one, people might expect me to serve them a mug of beer or sing Edelweiss.


9 comments:

John A Hill said...

Perhaps the dirndl dress isn't the fashion statement that you want to make. But you are welcome to bring me a beer anytime (bring one for yourself, too) and sing for me! You can wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing.

TexWisGirl said...

i'll pass on 1) the apron-style and 2) a dress. period.

Mike said...

Is she singing 'The Sound of Music'?

MarkD60 said...

I think it's a nice looking dress.
Wonder what gave you the idea of this post?

Bilbo said...

My wife has a formal dirndl which is quite beautiful, and has a degree of decollete which is far from tacky. One question: after a certain age, would a lady wear oma panties under a dirndl?

BipolarBunny said...

I've always loved those dresses.
Tara wears one when she sings to Willow.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

If I were skinny again I'd so want to wear a dress like that :)

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Mark -- I just love the cheerful whimsey of the style.

Bilbo -- Oma panties are always correct.

John Hill -- What sort of beer?

John A Hill said...

I like a strong IPA or an occasional stout. How about you? Perhaps an unfiltered wheat ale?