Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Secret Vice of Generation Y

I dawned upon me while watching Jon Stewart: this guy is really full of himself.  Well, that's his misfortune, and none of my own.  But also he panders to some of the worst traits of my generation (Y): the cultivation of a smug hipness that sometimes comes in the form of cynicism.  But this is not an honest cynicism of the Diogenes flavor: it's simply a pose to appear cool. 

Why am I listening to this unfortunate guy pretending to be a really cool but managing to be a poseur?  He is, in his own way, as bad as Bill O'Reilly.  Maybe we need to bring back those moments of reflection where we think something like  Mea culpa.  Well, people haven't said that at Mass since my grandparents' time, but it's still something of use.  And a first step in cleaning up one's act.

I'll confess to doing some uncool things, but not douchy ones: 

1.  Listening to ABBA.  Yeah, 1970's Euro pop elevator music.  But it's catchy; it's got a good beat and is great to exercise or dance to.  Strangely, John McCain is also a self-admitted ABBAophile.

2.  Eating Reese's cups.

3.  Pole dancing.  Hey, I wear exercise clothes; it do it privately, and I'm not a stripper.  Sorry to be a disappointment.

4.  Reading bodice-ripper romance novels.  Yeah, they have absolutely no literary value.  But does Tom Clancy?

5.  Petting bunnies.

6.  Looking at baby clothes.  No, I'm not expecting -- just dreaming of someday.

7.  The horror!  The horror!  Watching DWTS sometimes.

8.  Speaking of music: a further confession in the desire to have a clean Generation Y conscience, I sometimes listen to French yé-yé music that originated in the 1960's.  This music is even regarded as noncool in France.

At least none of these would put me on the TSA do-not-let-fly list. 



A gentle distinction: the anime girl above is not cool, but trying too hard to be.

+++++
Just a note: I'll be away for about a week; but will post a New Orleans drink recipe and a tapir story in the meantime.  Have a great week! 


5 comments:

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

I like Reese's cups as much as the contents of my g.f.'s cups.

Anonymous said...

That's a wretched-looking girl cartoon!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Elvis, I hope you appreciate 100% of her!

Duckbutt said...

Funny .....Gen X is like the Boomers.

Bilbo said...

Watching DWTS constitutes horror only if someone like "Meta World Peace," Nancy Grace, or Bristol Palin is on the floor. And no, Tom Clancy has no literary value ... but he's laughing all the way to the bank.